Tuesday, July 17

SportsTube?

Here’s a website I wish someone would put together. Youtube meets ESPN Classic. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve wanted to see a great sports highlight from the past, and have been entirely unable to get it. It doesn’t make much sense. If I want to see a video of a dog skateboarding I can easily find it on youtube. If I want to see an Alanis Morrisette parody of My Humps, I can find that easily too. But if I want to see a video of George Brett’s reaction in the Pine Tar game, I’m hard pressed to find it.

This may seem like a trivial thing, but it really can be annoying. In this information age we expect to be able to get information, and when we cannot, it boggles the mind. It’s kind of like paying bills. If, for some reason, I CAN’T pay a bill online it annoys the hell out of me. It’s not a big hassle to throw something in an envelope and drop it in a mailbox, but by comparison, it’s galling.

I could site several more mundane examples of this. In a previous Bo Jackson post I referenced an article that recanted some of Bo’s more incredible feats. It spoke about him planting a foot several feet up in the wall. It also mentioned a particularly amazing play where he gunned down Harold Reynold’s at the plate. You’d think a play like this, which is seared into everyone who saw it’s memory, would be freely available to view, but it is not.

Other examples I have unsuccessfully gone in search of include Ichiro’s infamous gunning down of Terrence Long trying to take third (a game I watched live) and Devon White’s robbing of a home run during a playoff game. Hell, even “The Catch” is hard to find a video of.

I don’t think that this site needs to have every little Web Gem, although I don’t know how you draw the line. There just should be one place we can go to see all the great exploits of days past.

I care.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

www.sports-tube.com